Trust is one of those bedrock components of any team. It can be hard to build but easy to break down. There are a lot of ways to build trust, and endless ways to breach it.
Here are some quotes on trust I’ve gathered to help challenge and encourage your team towards an attitude of trust. Use them in team meetings to discuss what aspects of team trust you need to work on.
1. “Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” ~ Albert Einstein
2. “To be trusted is a greater compliment than being loved.” ~ George MacDonald
3. “Trust is the glue of life. It’s the most essential ingredient in effective communication. It’s the foundational principle that holds all relationships.” ~ Steven Covey
4. “The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.” ~ Ernest Hemingway
5. “None of us knows what might happen even the next minute, yet still we go forward. Because we trust. Because we have Faith.” ~ Paulo Coelho
6. “We are all mistaken sometimes; sometimes we do wrong things, things that have bad consequences. But it does not mean we are evil, or that we cannot be trusted ever afterward.” ~ Alison Croggon
7. “He who does not trust enough, will not be trusted.” ~ Lao Tzu
8. “Deciding whether or not to trust a person is like deciding whether or not to climb a tree because you might get a wonderful view from the highest branch or you might simply get covered in sap and for this reason many people choose to spend their time alone and indoors where it is harder to get a splinter.” ~ Lemony Snicket
9. “Trust is knowing that when a team member pushes you, they are doing it because they care about the team” ~ Patrick Lencioni
10. “The toughest thing about the power of trust is that it’s very difficult to build and very easy to destroy. The essence of trust building is to emphasize the similarities between you and the customer.” ~ Thomas J. Watson
What are some of your favorite quotes on trust? How can you use quotes to encourage and motivate your team?